“Not only do I have a natural smile but I have a healthy smile.
Thank you Dr. Gorman.” – Heidi
Prevention & Oral Health
Dr. Gorman is an AACD accredited dentist who makes prevention an integral part of his Minneapolis-St. Paul, North Oaks area office.
At The Gorman Center for Fine Dentistry you can feel confident knowing your smile will not only look fabulous, but will be in the best health possible. By providing the latest diagnostic techniques and technologies available, our comfortable methods ensure your smile looks good, feels good, and lasts a long time.
Preventive Therapy Visits
In our office, every preventive visit is thorough, comprehensive, individualized and comfortable. Dr. Steve Gorman is an AACD accredited dentist with a highly-trained preventive therapy team. We implement the latest in dental techniques and information, including the growing understanding of the body/mouth connection. Our state-of-the-art office is designed to make you feel at ease, featuring a warm, relaxing setting, and wonderful patient amenities. During your visit, we focus on your individual needs and desires to help you keep and maintain a healthy mouth.
Learn more about:
Sealants are an excellent way to protect the chewing surfaces of your back teeth from decay. These surfaces have deep pits and fissures where bacteria are easily trapped, which can lead to decay. Sealants, a thin plastic coating bonded to the chewing surface of your tooth, along with preventive dentistry will help to prevent expensive problems down the road. Sealant placement takes just a few minutes, anesthesia isn’t necessary, and your tooth looks and feels just as it always had. Our sealants are guaranteed for 5 years provided you come in for regular care; with this commitment both you and your teeth are winners.
For those of you concerned about BPA exposure from plastic, we are pleased to inform you that our sealants do not contain BPA. Learn more about BPA exposure here.
Cavity Prevention Tooth Decay: The Cause
- Dental decay (cavities) results from bacteria.
- Plaque (bacteria) and sugary/starchy foods work together to form an acid that breaks down tooth structure, thus promoting decay.
What about Soda Pop?
- Soda pop and sport drinks have extreme amounts of sugar and low pH (high acidity) which in combination with plaque can lead to rapid decay.
- Pop is even more damaging when sipped over the course of several hours or multiple servings are consumed throughout the day (3-12 daily) because each high sugar exposure starts a new acid attack on the teeth.
- Don’t be fooled by diet drinks; they don’t contain sugar, but their acid/low pH attacks the teeth immediately.
Everyone Benefits From Professional Fluoride Treatments
- Tooth decay isn’t just a children’s health problem; the causes of tooth decay are the same for everyone, regardless of age. In fact, the elderly are often prone to decay.
- Fluoride helps prevent first time tooth decay and secondary decay around existing restorations.
- Fluoride reduces tooth sensitivity and strengthens exposed root surfaces.
What is Xylitol?
Xylitol is a plant based sweetener that inhibits decay promoting acid formation. Xylitol is available in gum, mints, toothpaste and granular form for cooking. Using xylitol raises oral pH, thereby reducing the time teeth are exposed to damaging acids, as well as starving harmful bacteria of their food source. We’d love to help you discover your favorite brand of Xylitol. Xylitol aids in treating periodontal disease by reducing the bacteria population in the mouth. Long-term use of xylitol makes the oral environment less acidic, thereby suppressing the most harmful strains of oral bacteria that cause gum disease.
When choosing a dentist to take care of your family’s health, you deserve the best of the best in Minneapolis-St. Paul. Choose The Gorman Center for Fine Dentistry.
Call our North Oaks office to schedule your visit with AACD accredited dentist Dr. Gorman today!